Sunday, February 27, 2011

More on the greenhouse

Preparation finished
After spending time clearing and cleaning the old greenhouse, we added weed suppressing membrane and barrowed a ton and a half of pea shingle down to the bottom of the garden to create a good base.

I also lifted four 2 foot square, concrete (and very heavy) slabs from the path alongside our front drive to make a reasonable path down the centre of the greenhouse. It also meant I got to play with the pressure washer to clean them up :)

We had enough shingle to create a path behind the greenhouse too, so this will provide a good sheltered spot for plants in temporary pots and stuff.

Somebody in the past had the fore-thought to run water down to the greenhouse, and against all odds the tap still works! I just need to attach it to a decent post...

With all the polycarbonate glazing, new large louvres and staging sitting in the garage, I just need to put it all together.

Saturday, February 26, 2011

The greenhouse

Our wreck of a greenhouse
One of the exciting things in the new garden is the existing, good sized greenhouse - 12' x 8'.
However, it needs a little bit of TLC...despite its dilapidated appearance, the frame is in excellent condition and anchored properly.

Initially we planned to remove the broken glazing and attempt to clean the remaining panes in place but after some experimentation and doing a little research, we decided to remove all the glass, clean the frame and re-glaze with 4mm polycarbonate.

Removing the glazing
Once the glazing was removed, it was time to clear the weeds from the ground. Like the rest of the garden, ground elder and bind weed are prevalent with a supporting cast of nettles and dock. We decided that growing in pots would be the best course of action, so covered the floor with a weed suppressing membrane and ordered a lot of pea-shingle to keep it covered.
Cleared and cleaned
I'll post more as we do it!